Saturday, January 3, 2009

Cutting: Understanding the Self-Mutilation of Teenagers

By Kelli Woodard My ministry journey led me off the well-beaten path of church work into a job at a residential counseling facility for teens. During my 18 months as a house parent, my eyes were opened to the issue of self-mutilation and I learned how to have an effective ministry with hurting teens. Our facility was designed for short-term stays, with most teens graduating the program and returning home within 12-18 months. Our residents were "normal" kids, the same kids who attend youth groups across the country. In fact, many of our teens were active in their churches both before and after their stay with us. Their self-mutilation didn't begin once they entered our doors.....click here to read the entire article.

No comments: